Subject: Re: [Leica] Film Scanner for Leica Images
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 22:46:13 -0400

on 10/9/01 9:09 PM, Roger Bunting at leica35@yahoo.com wrote:

> I've watched the many threads on scanning (here and in
> other groups) and I'm still perplexed about the
> quality of digital prints produced from scanned film
> images.

no need to be... arguments still rage as to whether the final acme of
perfection belongs to the silver print or the inkjet print but to all
intents and purposes they are of equal quality.

To put it another way, the quality of print it is *possible* to make with a
scanner and printer is well beyond what most photographers will ever
achieve, in or out of the darkroom IMO.

> If I stay to the 9x12 print and an upgrade of my Epson
> 870 (don't know what's currently the low price
> standard), is the Nikon Coolscan IV ($900) scanner
> adequate?

Yes. But consider buying instead a Polaroid SS4000 from eCost.com. Much
cheaper, and 4000 dpi. This is as good as it gets for 35mm (honors divided
with the equivalent Nikon machine) without going to a drum scan. I can print
beautifully sharp 16x12s from mine.

Polaroid just filed for bankruptcy I think but the SS4K is a pretty reliable
beast and the current deals are to die for. I don't doubt the scanner
division will continue once the Chapter 7 woes are over.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com