Subject: [Leica] Re: R7 vs RTS-II
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 12:57:36 -0700

At 8:16 AM -0400 10/13/01, Sal DiMarco,Jr. wrote:
>         Marc wrote "But Leitz/Leica have NEVER even had the slightest idea
>of attempting to match the two Mirotars.  These magnificent optics are
>unparalleled --"
>
>Marc,
>     Are you refering to the Zeiss Mirror lenses? the 500mm f/4.5 and the
>1000mm f/5.6?
>     Well, from my personal experience with the 1000mm, I can say the lens is
>"unparalleled." The Time-Life Labs' equipment room has one. It weighs about
>fifty pounds, the case is another fifty and a tripod strong enough to hold
>it steady weighs another fifty pounds. The lens T-stops at about f/8 and in
>anything less than bright sunlight is a bear to focus. When you were sharp,
>the lens was sharp but the performance was no barn burner.
>     Not to mention the $10,000.-- price tag, twenty years ago!!
>     When every the lens come out for a group outing, we all hold our breath
>while we draw straws to pick the "luck" soul who has to shoot with it.
>    Sorry, Marc on this one, I disagree.
>Happy Snaps,
>Sal DiMarco, Jr.
>Philadelphia, PA

I've never used nor touched a 1000 Mirotar, but I have shot with a
500/4.5 on a Contarex. For a 500, it was _BIG_, and while it was the
best 500 mirror lens I've shot with, that doesn't mean a lot. It
certainly didn't come close to Nikon's 500/4 ED. In the 60's, it was
probably a passable solution, but its time has passed.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com