Subject: Re: [Leica] Piezo printing
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 09:57:49 -0400

on 10/14/01 1:01 PM, Pablo Kolodny at pkolodny@fibertel.com.ar wrote:

> - what should be the usual output dpi resolution when printing Piezo ?
> I heard here and there and read some articles in mags and the net, some says
> 300 dpi, others 750 dpi ... I'm confused about that.

the higher the better

240 is acceptable
300 is great

minute improvements up to around 900 dpi

there is no 'magic number'

> - once the output resolution is well understood what should be the best
> scanner to get good Piezo prints ? I guess that D range is a deal

yes, Piezo is very demanding of your scanner. Or rather, it will show as
much detail as you give it. For 35mm a lot of people use the Polaroid
sprintscan 4000 but a 2700 dpi Nikon is fine.

> - one more, what is the biggest print (enlargement) possible starting with a
> 35 mm negative and 2700 dpi scanner as the Nikon LS 2000 ?

I have gotten a decent 16x12 out of a 2400 dpi scan, but it was definitely
pushing it a bit. But it's somewhere round there.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com