Subject: [Leica] Re: New Photo Site
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:05:02 +1000

dave@hillmanimages.com wrote:

> What are you saying here?

That the images were scanned well.  Helme made an effort to
touch up the dust spots and adjust the gamma + black +
white levels.

> Surprise that amatuers produce good images?

No.  But the images here were much better quality than the
usual LUG level, so Helme deserved praise and encouragement
and recognition for the effort.

> Seems to me there is a big jump from making high quality
> images to getting paid to do them.  The jump has little to
> do with ability to make the images in the first place and
> may have more about a willingness to give up a good well
> paying job in another field.

Fascinating.  Tell me, what does this have to do with my
short, congratulatory original post?...

>One can tell little about scan quality from the WEB.

Well, no.  If you can see the image then you can see whether
or not the person new how to use a scanner and PShop (that's
"Adobe Photoshop", software used to manipulate scanned images).

Unfortunately, most of the time people are lazy and just do a
quickie scan and dump it on net with lame apologies about being
new to scanning or computer use.

Helme bucked the trend and made an effort to upload good quality
images.  Only wish more people would.  In Helme's images you can
actually see the results of using extraordinary glass!  So I posted
a short note congratulating him.  What's the problem?!...

> By the time an image is compressed to jpeg and resized down
> to fit on a monitor, the difference between the output from
> an inexpensive scanner and a drum scan goes away.

Ah, I think I get your drift.  You appear to be upset that I
used the short-hand word "scan" when I should have been more
precise and rigourous and used a fully qualified description
like:

"Excellent digital image quality when viewed on my computer
monitor.  By image quality I mean good scan technique,
good gamma balance and black and white level adjustment.
Although I admit that I can only see a scaled down version
of the images, so I cannot comment on quality or otherwise
of the individual master scans.  Also, please note that this
is a subjective opinion."

Now then, are these reformulated remarks okay?  While we are
at it, any spelling or punctuation errors you would like me
to correct?...

:?)

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth