Subject: Re: [Leica] Perhaps a new (on)topic, or the conceit
From: "Mārtiņš Zelmenis" <martin@lrpv.lv>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 17:18:08 +0200

It seems to me now the messages have been filtered somehow - or I am first
receiving those that are posted later.
Any ideas?

Medium (ours: photography) is such a special field that our individual
feelings may tend to take over. OK, in a sense that's why we're here in this
discussion group. So let's not hide them!

If I were compelled to take pictures with Holgas - or any other
plastic-lens-cameras - probably I'd be doing this for some reason - maybe
I'd need <that kind of pictures>. And if I knew what to expect, I'd take
appropriate pictures. Those that don't need any focusing, provide
generalisations, and visually are never precise. I agree - if a person uses
a camera for the camera's sake, he won't be getting better pictures than
he/she would by using them Holgas. Then the quality of the camera system
doesn't come in to play.

So in a sense it matters - whom you are addressing your question?

Yours

Martin

I think that this is a total myth and very delusional to think that a person
can take better pictures with a Leica rangefinder than a SLR. I have used
the Leicaflex Model 2 and it churns out just as reasonable pictures as my
Canonet rangefinder. I think that we tend to be caught up in the tools we
are using rather than the compositional creativity that we ought to be
worried about. In fact, one of my winning photos was taken with a Nikon
8008s w/ cheap Russian Arsat lens. The picture was the bomb I have to admit.
So far I haven't developed any of my hardcore Leicaflex pictures but I
suspect that a few of those will outdo any of the M6 pictures that people
boast about.

By the way, I have seen some kickbutt pictures taken with toy cameras
especially the Holga. I think that Kyle can definitely vouchsafe that his
Nikon AF cameras can produce just as solid pictures as the Leica M6 he uses.
For me, I like to use different cameras like different paintbrushes the way
that Picasso chose different media. We tend to brag about his paintings but
forget about his sculptures and ceramics and even stage sets too :)

Hopefully I can redeem the Leica SLR to a much higher status than what it
has been getting lately. And by the way, I do care about depth of field too!

Alfie