Subject: [Leica] When good beer goes bad
From: "C.L.Zeni" <clzeni@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:43:43 -0400

Way off topic, but might add light to the suds discussion:

 > WHEN GOOD BEER GOES BAD
 > The mystery of "skunky" beer has been solved by a team of chemists led
 > by the University of North Carolina's Malcolm D. Forbes. Many
 > afficionados of the malted beverage think that beer goes bad when
 > mishandled. ""Historically, beer has been stored in brown or green
 > bottles to protect hop-derived compounds from light in a process we call
 > photodegradation,"" said Forbes. Hops give the beer its flavor and
 > protects it by inhibiting bacterial growth. But certain elements of
 > hops, known as isohumulones, are light-sensitive, and their breakdown
 > can lead to an offensive flavor and smell. Forbes and his team used
 > sophisticated analytical chemistry techniques to track the reaction, and
 > found that one of the end-products is what the team calls a "skunky
 > thiol." As it turns out, the chemical is related to the funky ones in
 > skunk glands. The research is reported in the Nov. 5 issue of the
 > European journal Chemistry.

- --
Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni at mindspring dot com
http://www.trainweb.org/zeniphotos/zenihome.html
http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/index.html

Gladstone to Disraeli: "I predict, Sir, that you will die either by hanging
or of some vile disease."
Disraeli to Gladstone: "That all depends, Sir, upon whether I embrace your
principles or your mistress."