Subject: Re: [Leica] viewfinder question
From: "Bob Parsons" <bobp@ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 12:21:48 +0100

Michael,

Before I purchased a second hand 0.58M6 TTL I checked this.
I took the back off and put a screen on the film rails and compared
what I could see with a 24mm, with the viewfinder.

If you keep your eye centered on the rangefinder patch then what
you see in the viewfinder is a good match to the 24mm view.
BUT... you must keep your eye centered and not move it around.
If you move your eye downwards so you can look out of the
top of the viewfinder window (but not see the bottom properly)
and then move your eye around to scan the viewfinder edges then
the field of view is more like the 21mm or maybe more.
In practice I've found using the 24mm like this works OK for me.

I'd suggest you really do try to get to a dealer and look through a
0.58 viewfinder to see how the angle of view changes with eye
position before you buy.
Ask the dealer to put a 24mm finder and lens on the camera and
you can compare. You will find about 20% of the field of view is
obscured by the 24mm lens and it's hood if you use the built in
camera viewfinder. Some people may not find this acceptable.
I'm also using the 1.25 magnifier with the 0.58 and get an acceptable
focus hit rate with the 75mm Summilux and 90mm Summicron at
full aperture. I'm sure it's better with the M4 and 1.25 magnifier
though.
I need a diopter correction lens and having to take it off the camera
to screw in the magnifier and then screw the diopter lens on the
magnifier slows me down.
A comment about the 21/24/28mm universal viewfinder. I find
the focus varies with focal length selected and the distance of the
object you are photographing. For me a fixed diopter correction
lens is a compromise.
I just curse the closeness of the 50mm and 75mm frame lines
on the 0.58. Many times in the excitement of taking an unrepeatable
shots I've cut off heads etc. by using the wrong frame if the lighting
is dim and the frames are not easily seen...experience is a cruel
teacher <grin>.
These are just my personal opinions. Your mileage may vary.

 Bob Parsons   bobp@dodo.demon.co.uk or
bobp@ntlworld.com