Subject: [Leica] don dory does a good job plus the PLUG weighs in on smoking
From: "kyle cassidy" <kcassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 15:24:01 -0700

i was pleased to see don dorys good work, it's very hard to take a good
photo of a kid

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder.tcl?folder_id=156903

and have it be interesting to someone who's not related to them. both of
dons transcend relation -- good job. i like both the b&w headshot and the
color. great composition in the color shot, and good use of color -- it
wouldn't have worked nearly as well in b&w. with a CL huh? i saw somebody
shooting with one in chicago a couple years back. have always thought that a
CLE is probably the camera for me but the CL seemed -- difficult.

the PLUG noticed that in europe a "non smoking" section in a restaurant is
one where no one is currently smoking. it was worst in romania. i myself
made an editorial decision about three years ago not to photograph models
with cigarettes and not to have characters who smoke in my films. i used to
do it in the past but i had a sudden epiphiny that i was contributing to the
problem, and have decided to do my tiny little bit not to continue to
glamorize smoking for kids. after having lost two grandparents slowly and
excruciatingly to lung and mouth cancer in the most awful way imagionable,
i'd just as soon not have anybody else go through that. my studio is smoke
free now & if the models need to light up, we have a designated smoking area
out back. i hate it when my leica smells bad.

the plug's 2 cents is usually only worth about half that.

keep pushing that shutter button, it'll come unstuck,

kyle