Subject: Re: [Leica] Elmar with sloppy focusing mount
From: "Howard Sanner" <flagstad@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 02:39:22 +0000

>I was playing with a "new" IIIf today, and thought that the
>infinity focus was way off, but it turned out that the 50mm
>Elmar on it had a really sloppy focusing mount.  If I pushed the
>lens into the body, the infinity images lined up just right.

   Sounds like my day. I have a IIIf BD on approval. With my 1937
50mm Elmar it doesn't *quite* focus to infinity. With all my
other lenses it's dead on the money.

   However, this Elmar, along with all my other lenses, does
focus accurately at infinity on all my other screwmount bodies,
and on my M3 with Leitz adaptors.

   I found that on the IIIf BD I could fix the infinity focus by
gently pressing upward on the lens barrel.

   There's obviously enough play in the focusing helix that the
lens can be canted very slightly. It's clear from playing with it
that the play is not in the locking mechanism that keeps the
collapsible lens extended.

   What I don't understand is why the problem only exists with
this one body, and not on any of the other four I tried.

						Howard Sanner
						flagstad@mindspring.com

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Elmar with sloppy focusing mount)