Subject: Re: [Leica] Acros 100
From: "George Weir" <george@georgeweir.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 23:50:04 -0400

> I'd still love to hear more about what folks like or dislike.
My initial impressions are that this is a fine film, and one which I
shall enjoy using. Will it replace FP4 in my bag?
Too early to tell, but I think a deciding factor might be that I don't
think that I want to add another green cassette to my bag, I already use
Neopan 400 and 1600 and when on a job I like the difference in cassette
colors. BG
Seriously though, I've been using FP4 for many years so replacing it is
doubtful.

Dante wrote
> This is going to be a tough film to work with
> I'm sure that with a lot of work, I can make good prints.
> From a diffuser enlarger and grade 00.

I shot a roll of Acros 100 last week, exposed at 200 and developed in
diafine.
At the end of a printing session on Friday, I printed 2 of the negs full
frame 14x10.
Grade 2, Ilford Warmtone, Agfa Neutol WA Developer.
Easy printing, full tones, great prints.
No lots of work needed.

> The disappointment comes not from the film but the hype, which is that
> this is a wonderful new film, some kind of world beater.  , and for
what promises (not yet delivering)
> marginal improvements over TMX.

I think to complain about the hype that a manufacturer gives its
products is being a little bit unrealistic, or would you expect to see
something like
"Well this is a so so film, not as good as big yellow's t stuff but it's
not too bad so try a few rolls today."?

> TMX  is also incredibly cheap, especially if you roll your own (ca $1
/roll).
Price is not a criteria when I choose my films.
The only Kodak film I use is HIE, other than that I would not have a
Kodak film, especially B&W in my bag even if it were free.
I don't have the time to roll film
I can't afford to have scratched film
I want each of my rolls to have neg numbers starting at 0 and ending at
36, this is very important for scanning, filing sorting in my CD
catalogues.

All good things to you and yours

George

George Weir Photography