Subject: [Leica] New Viewfinder First Impression
From: "Robert Rose" <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:58:32 -0700

I just got a 21mm for my M, and the new "zoom" 21-24-28 viewfinder.  Here are some first impressions.

The viewfinder is rather large in comparison to the black plastic ones; it is about the size of the older lyre shaped (VIDOM?) finder.

The front element is very big, and is a fingerprint magnet.  It could use a lens cap; not included.  I measured it to be 35mm, and I ordered a plastic cap.

Switching between the 3 focal lengths is very easy, and the detent works nicely so that it does not seem to slip.

The viewfinder is exceptionally bright.  The edges in the image are visible even with glasses, at all 3 focal lengths.  The edges are a little fuzzy, however, which the instructions say is unavoidable.  There is little visible barrel distortion in the image.

The part that touches my glasses is a nice rubber, so there is no scratching.

I got the chrome version, and it looks very nice on an M3.  It does stand out, however.

By the way, the 21mm is a chrome version, which added 114 grams of weight over the black version.  This does make the camera a little front heavy when it is set down.  I think a winder would add some good counterbalance.  Although it looks very nice on a chrome body with the chrome finder, if I did it again I probably would go for the black lens to save some weight.