Subject: Re: [Leica] Pellicle mirrors and dust
From: Eng Yeo <farmboys@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 15:37:32 +1300

on 10/23/01 12:04 PM, Don Dory at dorysrus@mindspring.com wrote:

> I've had a pellicle mirror on a reflex body for something like ten years.
> Theoretically you do have two more surfaces to collect dust and crud but in
> practice if you exercise reasonable caution there isn't a problem.  The
> pellicle is so thin that it acts like a gelatin filter and has virtually no
> effect on image quality.
>
> Benefits are continuous viewing in a SLR so no blackout, much lower noise
> and vibration.  This is a great system for very slow speed flash work for
> creative pans and sharp/halo as you focus with flash second curtain.  I also
> liked this system for macro as I didn't have to keep popping the mirror 2
> seconds before each exposure and wait for things to settle down.
>
> Down sides include very expensive replacement cost if you do damage the
> pellicle and very diffuse spots if you leave dust on the pellicle.
>
> Don
> dorysrus@mindspring.com
>
> --

Correct me if I am wrong.

Long before Leica came out with the first Leicaflex, there were rumours year
after year as to when the first leicaflex would made its appearance.

Leica had expressed its high standard re mirror vibration and noise. I think
it was the Leica (?) who said that they were considering pellicle mirror for
the then new reflex to overcome such shortcomings.
And not long after that, Canon came out and be the first Pellicle mirrored
camera in the world.

Thought some of you may be interested in this little bit of  'history'.

Eng