Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Gitzo Monopods & others
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 08:57:33 -0700

Rei Shinozuka wrote:

> swinging the discussion yet further seaward...
>
> i have a carbon gitzo 1228 for my m6's.  one of the
> leg locks turns, tightens, then makes a snapping sound
> and then is one turn loose, as if the screw threads are jumping.
> if i tighten up a little less, it seems OK.
> i'll confess to putting some effort into tightening the leg
> locks, particularly since if you don't tighten the upper
> locks on a gitzo, it's hard to tighen and loosen the lower locks
> because the tubes rotate.  i've never had any trepidation
> about leaning on the locks for years with my old metal gitzo reporter
> and my little gitzo weekender.
>
> have i done a bad thing?  is this an easy fix?
>
> :-(
>
> TIA,
>
> -rei
> --

Sometimes I've had such problems on my Gitzo's fixed at a pro camera store while
i watch. Sometimes they send it on. I've had very bad luck taking those things
apart and working on them myself and I'm mechanically pretty good in my own
mind. But I'll bet others have it down with no problem. Maybe it's becuase they
are French! Thing is they don't go out that often. (not the French the leg locks)

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/