Subject: [Leica] how to tell if the RF is out of whack
From: Kyle Cassidy <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:11:19 -0400

tina sed:

> > But, Mark, my cameras ride in airplanes all the time and on the floor of
> > jeeps crossing dry and wet rivers and mountains and on my shoulders
> > bouncing along on donkeys and I've never had them re-aligned that I know
of
> > - I wouldn't recognize it if they needed it.  All of the screws vibrated
> > out of my Noctilux mount once in a jeep in Honduras, but the
rangefinders
> > still seemed fine.  How can you tell if they are misaligned?   Should I
be
> > getting them realigned after every trip?  I usually just send in my
Leicas
> > after I've dropped them in a river or something.
> >
> > Tina

ah tina, you'd know. mine got knocked out of alignment when it fell off of a
chair (about 1 foot) onto a carpeted floor, and then got totally whacked
when i hit it against a five foot diameter concrete water pipe. it looked
like this:

     ____________________
     |___________________|
     |                   |

(i hope you're using a monospaced font). anways, the one windows slid down
so that that tops no longer lined up. which was okay horizontally, but it
was really annoying vertically. you all know my horror story about getting
it fixed though.... ugh.

kc