Subject: RE: [Leica] mail irradiation affects film
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 02:16:49 +0100

Horacio Sofi wrote:

"Low, medium or high irradiation is the same, "wash" our slides. Probably we
need to try with DHL, Fedex, UPS, etc."

If the postal services around the world start irradiating mail to ensure
that their workers, customers and equipment aren't exposed to dangerous
material, then I shall be *ASTONISHED* if the likes of DHL, FedEx and UPS
don't do the same thing.

They'll have no choice. If you were a terrorist equipped with a supply of
Anthrax and a desire to do damage, and you knew that the postal service took
these precautions and the courier services didn't, how would *you* send your
next batch of bugs? It's a bit obvious, isn't it?

Like the possibility of 'no carry on' rules on aircraft, we have to keep a
sense of proportion about this. People have already died, and it's likely
that more will die before the culprits are found. So we're going to have to
find new ways of working, and not waste time complaining about what - on the
face of it - appear to be necessary measures to preserve human life in the
face of an unprecedented threat.

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

"There are only two services that images can offer the afflicted. One is to
find the story that expresses the truth of their affliction. The second is
to find the words that can give resonance, through the crust of external
circumstances, to the cry that is always inaudible: "Why am I being hurt?"
- -- Simone Weil

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] mail irradiation affects film)