Subject: [Leica] 15f.28 Elmarit New R ASPH lens
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 01:20:10 EST

<<

Like others have said (B.D and Ted), this new vario is way too slow for

serious use.

I was really waiting, like many, for the day when we'd see a f/2.8

wide-angle vario, able to compete with offerings of other leading

manufacturers.

Seems that will not happen. Keep the 19/2.8 :-)

OTOH, the news about the new 15/2.8 ASPH sounds exciting to me. I am

certainly in the market for a 15mm R lens. But what will be the price for

this Schneider beauty ? :-(

Guess the few remaining Zeiss-manufactured R 15/3.5 lenses will seriously go

down in price (slower and very probably a lesser performer compared to the

new Schneider lens). At least there is one sunny side to this :-)

Pascal

Hi all,

According to Leica USA this morning, the price for the new 15f2.8 ASPH is
going to be $4,895 (list is $5395.) The lens will be available in November.

Here is what else they  had to say about it:

"The lenses improves on the 15f3.5 Super Elmar in the following ways,

- -Highest optical performance thanks to aspherical lens elements.
- -1/2 stop faster compared to the earlier SUPER-ELMAR-R 15f3.5
- -More compact and more lightweight (25oz.)
- -Constant length of the lens thanks to internal focusing.
- -built in four filter turret. (NDx1, neutral density filter, KB 12 color
conversion, yellow green filter, orange filter)
- -very low distortion
- -very low vignetting for a extreme wide angle lens
- -low curvature of field.

As a result of the extremely large angle of view and the characteristic
perspective rendition, the new Leica Super Elmarit R is particularly well
suited for landscape and architectural photography, as well as for
reproducing any wide angle close focusing situation. The very short close
focusing distances of only 7.1 inches also provides for realistic portrayal
of small models."

Replies: Reply from "Margaret Jeffcoat" <margaret01@excelonline.com> (Re: [Leica] 15f.28 Elmarit New R ASPH lens)