Subject: Re: [Leica] mail irradiation affects film
From: "r g" <photos@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 19:37:02 -0500

> All this talk about irradiatioin.  Does anyone know if they have indeed
> started irradiating the mail?  It would seem to me that the equiment for
> such an endevor does not exist at the scale that would be needed to
> irradiate the billions of articles they handle every day.  All I have
heard
> is that this is a proposal at this stage.  Any evidence would be gladly
> appreciated as I have some rolls of Kodachrome I wish to mail soon.

Yes, they are. On the TODAY show this morning they had an interview with the
CEO of Titan Corp. They have been contracted to offsite cleanse the 60 Tons
of outstanding mail from the Brentwood DC mailing sorting facility, and have
also been contracted to sell 8 machines that will be brought to DC for
future mail. He confirmed that any electronic equipment would be rendered
useless but magnetic strips (credit cards) would not. I don't think I'll be
mailing anything soon. Overkill (sic).