Subject: [Leica] R8 vs. EOS-1v questions
From: "Zeissler, Mitch" <mzeissle@gcipoa.gannett.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 14:17:14 -0500

All...

I am in the beginning stages of a possible SLR purchase, to supplement
my M6 with longer lenses.  I'm interested in hearing from others
[off-list, if you prefer] that have had experience with both systems.  I
am interested in the R8 because of the glass [naturally] and the fact it
feels so much like using the M [very simple and not a lot of
automation].  I am interested in the EOS primarily because of the IS
availability and the way it allows one to shoot at low speeds without
using a tripod.

I have only played with the R8 at the local camera store, so I don't
have any field experience to base a comparison on.  I will say that the
R lens prices throw quite a chill on the party and I'm surprised that
auto-bracketing is not possible without the full blown motor drive.

I used to own one of the very early EOS bodies back in the mid-80's, but
the 1v is very different from what I had back then.  I have some
experience shooting with a friend's EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and am
astounded by the results.

For what it's worth, Ye Olde Locale Camera Store was pushing me in the
direction of the Nikon F100.

My shooting style is the lighter, the better [I have a couple herniated
discs], with glasses.  I carry a mini-table tripod, but the full size
one is always too much for me on extended hikes, thus the interest in
the IS glass.

Any comments or shared experiences are welcomed.

/Mitch Zeissler

Replies: Reply from "David Burdoin" <herzilein@clear.lakes.com> (Re: [Leica] R8 vs. EOS-1v questions)
Reply from "Wilber Jeffcoat" <wilber@jeffcoatphotography.com> (Re: [Leica] R8 vs. EOS-1v questions)