Subject: [Leica] Re: M6TTL framelines question
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:58:41 -0700

There are no dumb questions and this is an important one to know about when
using a M6/M4-P camera (earlier M cameras show slightly more than the
M6/M4-P). The area inside the framelines show the area of a mounted slide,
23mm x 35mm, which is 93% of the actual film area when the lens is at
closest focus. With a 50mm lens focused at 2 metres the outside of the
framelines shows this same 23mm x 35mm film area. Finally with the lens
focused at infinity, you need to imagine an area three frameline width's
thicker all around.

This change in coverage varies with the focal length of the lens being used.
A 90mm lens would give an even greater amount of change such that at
infinity, the 75mm frameline set is pretty close to what you will get on the
film. With a wide angle lens such as a 21mm the change is negligible and can
be ignored.

The amount of film area that actually shows up on a print depends on the
size of print and the printer. 8x10s for instance require some cropping of
the original film area.

John Collier