Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V21 #65
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 12:36:30 -0800

Mitch writes:

At 12:01 AM 10/31/2001 -0800, you wrote:
><My shooting style is the lighter, the better [I have a couple herniated
><discs], with glasses.  I carry a mini-table tripod, but the full size
><one is always too much for me on extended hikes, thus the interest in
><the IS glass.

MItch:  If lightness is a major consideration, and you can forgo IS, you
might look into the Olympus OM system.  Olympus bodies and their Zuiko
lenses tend to be significantly lighter than Canon or Nikon.  (Bias
disclosure: My "other" camera is an Olympus OM-2).

You won't get Leica quality that will satisfy some of the Leica chauvanists
on this list, but with the better Zuiko lenses, it's in the ballpark.  For
example, the Zuiko 100/2 and 90/2 macro are world-class lenses.  They are
also quite a bit less expensive than their Leica conterparts.  While the OM
system has been virtually abandoned by Olympus, there's plenty of stuff
available used.

An OM-4T or TI with one of the better zooms or teles would do well for you,
and the OM-4 cameras have a wonderful metering system which includes spot
metering and averaging a series of spots.

Go to http://users2.ev1.net/~wesiddiquis/siddiq/ and click on "Olympus" to
bring up a lot of OM links.

- --Peter

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V21 #65)