Subject: [Leica] IIIa find / 50 Summar question
From: urizen@telocity.com
Date: 1 Nov 2001 13:05:30 -0800

Just wandered over to my friendly neighborhood hole-in-the-wall camera shop, and lo! Tom had (for him) a staggering amount of Leica stuff.  While perusing the gear, I noticed a nice-looking III-series.

On closer inspection, it turned out to be a IIIa (vintage 1938, per the list at Stephen Gandy's site).  Very clean, though it looks as though the vulcanite may have been replaced.  Reasonably bright RF, sounded good at all speeds - like it has recently been gone over.  Bought it with a pretty clean 50 Summar, never-ready case, and sync baseplate for the grand sum of $250.

What I've run into is that the lens is calibrated in the old "international" stops - 2, 2.2, 3.2, 4.5, 6.3, 9, 12.5 - what does this translate to in the current system?  I haven't been able to find a table of equivalencies.

Thanks,

C. L. Basso, K.C.S., M.Sc.
"In my opinion, he regarded the title Heretic as a
stamp of honor - if truth begins with heresy."
- --Evan S. Connell, /The Alchymist's Journal/

Replies: Reply from D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg> (Re: [Leica] IIIa find / 50 Summar question)