Subject: [Leica] Rear element scratches
From: David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 08:35:34 -0800

While reading some lug message from the last week or so I read some
comments about scratches on lenses. While scratches on rear elements are
probably worse than on front elements, placement of the scratch is very
important. I had 150/4 Sonnar with a horrible scratch on the rear element
(possibly left by a repair person gone mad with a screwdriver). It never
showed up in the least (even at f4). The only time it was ever a factor was
when I bought and sold it. It greatly reduced the value of the lens. OTOH,
I sold it for what I originally paid for it and I used it for 10-years.
(try that with anything digital!)

The horrific scratch on the 150 was on the outer third of the rear element,
which led me to wonder; in the mystical world of bent light and
vectors,  just how much of a rear element is actually used. Maybe just a
portion of the center? I suppose only a lens designer could answer that.

Dave

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Rear element scratches)
Reply from Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com> (Re: [Leica] Rear element scratches)