Subject: [Leica] Earth's Grand Light Show with a M6
From: "Dale R. Reed" <dale-reed@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 22:11:55 -0800

Online version of the November issue of the National Geographic.

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/data/2001/11/01/html/hm_20011101.htm

1)  Click on "Features List"

2)  Click on "Earth's Grand Light Show
Splashing the sky with radiant hues, auroras can crash power grids and
satellite systems even as they delight scientists and spectators with their
glowing gases. "

3)  Click on the second photo down "Click to ZOOM IN >>

Surprise Appearance Photograph by Ola Roe

Late on a January afternoon an aurora glows over homes in Tromsų, Norway-an
unusual sight since electric lights tend to overpower such heavenly
illuminations. Many of the town's residents missed the show. They were
indoors dressing for evening concerts that, ironically, were part of Tromsų'
s annual Northern Lights Festival.

Camera: Leica M6
Film Type: Fujicolor 800
Lens: 21mm
Speed and F-Stop: 1 second @ f/2.8 then 10-16 seconds   Weather Conditions:
Clear sky, about 14°F (-10°C)
Time of Day: 5:10 p.m.
Lighting Techniques: Natural light

Special Equipment or Comments:
It is difficult to plan a picture of the aurora. You may know when there
will be good aurora activity, but you never know in what direction or what
the intensity of the light will be. This picture was taken when I was
picking up my car after taking outdoor photographs of the Northern Lights
Festival. I used a tripod, which is very common at this time of year.
- ---
$ dale-reed@att.net    Seattle, Washington USA $