Subject: Re: [Leica] enlarging lens question
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 16:13:37 -0500

At 03:37 PM 11/2/01 -0500, Scott Allen wrote:
>I have pulled my darkroom equipment from storage with plans to set it up
>again.  I have an Omega enlarger with a Rodentock lens, but the lens was
>damaged beyond repair when in storage.
>
>Here's my question:  can I use my 50mm Summitar on the enlarger and expect
>decent results?  The lens is in perfect condition and has a 39mm mount just
>like the Rodenstock.

It would be a tad more accurate to say that the Rodenstock uses LTM --
Leica set the pattern in the 1930's by building enlargers which took the
camera's lens as the enlarging optic.  Other manufacturers simply adopted
the same thread -- 39mm by 26 turns-per-inch Whitworth -- for THEIR
enlarger lenses.  I believe that only Schneider and Zeiss resisted this in
recent years.

The Summitar will be adequate but not stunning:  a taking lens is designed
to meet different optical conditions than is an enlarging lens.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!