Subject: [Leica] re: leica made me a better photographer because it's a better camera....
From: "Aram Langhans" <alanghans@komoto.naches.wednet.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 05:23:25 -0800

Those are great photos.  From what I have seen, the reason why you "don't
think we've been producing work like this" is that most in the LUG are M
users practicing what is called "street photography".  The styles are not
comparable.  I personally am an R user and while I can appreciate the
difficulty of the street photos, most do not appeal to me.  Some are really
great, but most I would not consider taking.  I will be flamed I am sure,
but it is not meant to be flamable.  Look at any large sampling of
rangefinder vs SLR photos and there is a big difference  in the kind of
photography being done.  Neither better or worse than the other.  That is
why the M people have decided to use the M.  It is the correct tool for
their style of shooting.  That is why the R people have chosen the R.  It is
the correct tool for their style of shooting.  Is there crossover?  Of
course.  It is not a rule of nature that one style requires one kind of
camera.  It is just that one style of camera is more suited for a particular
style of photography.

A contest would be interesting, but you must remember that the tools are
different and just like comparing rangerfinder vs SLR is comparing apples to
oranges, so to will the photographs.

Aram