Subject: Re: [Leica] digit stuff: Underkill
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 13:19:27 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

> should be about 5 billion times less nifty then what you get from silver film.
> So why bother with it or talk about it in the same breath with Leica M or R glass?
Mark, I've NEVER said anything about things being "off-topic", but this
is a RANGEFINDER list, if you want to get technical...I'm a Leica "bigot",
I don't consider "R"s, while nice cameras to be "Leicas".....the Nikons/Canon
RF are MUCH more on topic than the "Rs"....
(didn't get enough hate mail last time, had to stir it up again)

As for Jim, he seems VERY knowledgeable about digital, I enjoy reading
his posts, but the "Scotch" or "underwear" threads are about as "on-topic"...

While we have VAST digital facilities here at UNT, we don't incorporate them
into "photography"....because they are, philosophically as well as technically,
a different animal.  I >USE< the internet, I'm not a "computer" hobbyist.....
I may "use" a digital camera or scanner to post something for sale, or to
send to a friend, but none of my "prints" (other than for 'utility' purposes)
are digital...

The "field" in which I was educated (wet photojournalism) is virtually extinct.
Digital newsgathering is of no interest to me....therefore I self-identify
as a "documentary photographer", which since I am in an art department (rather
than communications) is an acceptable term.

I guess what I'm saying is that while I enjoy MOST off-topic posts, regardless
of topic (especially more so than endless "lens performance" drivel, especially
from subjective, reverent, sources---) NONe of the digital posts have ANYTHING
to do with the subject of the list. (ACCORDING TO THE LUG INFORMATION, NOT ME)

That ought to get it goin'... :) :) :)
Walt

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] digit stuff: Underkill)