Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica replicas
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 19:22:11 -0800 (PST)

Brian McCarthy wrote:

What do you think of these: http://www.cameramate.com (click on Leica
replicas link)

There's absolutely no information on this site about these replicas -
what are they? Are these Russian in origin? Do they actually work, or
are they intended for display on a shelf or something?

Brian,

Russian replicas of Leica (and Contax RF) cameras have been around for
decades. I don't know much about them but there's some information at
Stephen Gandy's CameraQuest site:
http://www.cameraquest.com/fakerusk.htm

There's also a site selling these replicas at:
http://www.camerasrussian.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv

I believe quality control of cameras made in Russia has been variable
and you need to inspect them to make sure you get a good one. They work
and the lenses are supposed to be good.

Regards,

=====
Ray