Subject: [Leica] M6 operating temps
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 20:31:12 -0500

I've always understood that M cameras were designed to work down to -20C. In my
experience, below this the M6 LEDs start to fade, making proper meter reading very
difficult. Shutter speeds also start becoming erratic. I generally use an old M3 at
very cold temperatures - the different shutter cloth used then seems to perform more
consistently in the cold than today's material.

A further cold weather problem is the way  lens focussing rings go stiff and,
finally, impossible to turn. I try to switch to the hyperfocal method before this.
I've shot below -40 this way.

For those who've suggested here that the photographer is likely to fail before the
Leica does - sorry, that's not right. It is much easier to keep a person functioning
than a camera. With the camera, one must be vigilant about condensation and this
means it must remain at something close to the ambient temperature. Eventually, this
can become too cold for the mechanism and the electronics. The person functions
better at many degrees warmer than ambient  and good clothing makes this possible.
Only my eyelashes and a finger or two freeze.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal