Subject: Re: [Leica] DAS Picture of the Week XXX
From: George Day <george@rdcinteractive.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 06:46:45 -0800

Dante,

Not sure whether critiques are solicited or desired in public or not, so
here goes.  First of all, nice light. Where were you?  Could be any American
city, I suppose, but for some reason reminds me of my neck of the woods --
San Fran.

Anyway, I think this image could easily be improved in a few ways.  You've
got a nice subject -- the musicians are charismatic and plainly enjoying
themselves.  Your composition is a little loose, though. Getting in closer
would help bring out their faces and reduce clutter around the margins of
the image.  As it is, we're looking at the musicians from the average
distance of a passerby, and that makes it hard to tell their "story," if you
get my gist.  Remember Capa's order: if your pictures aren't good enough,
you're not getting close enough! I might also play around with vertical
angle (perhaps shoot from an even lower angle) and lateral angle,
concentrating on an interesting juxtaposition of foreground and background.
You've got great light and lots of interesting elements there, so the
question was just getting it tight and making it unique.  Last, check focus:
maybe it's just the scan (it probably is), but the box in the far right
foreground seems sharper than the subjects themselves.

Nice effort and thanks for sharing!