Subject: [Leica] IIIc K Cameras
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 10:48:03 -0500

At 07:43 PM 11/8/01 -0800, Feliciano di Giorgio wrote:
>Didn't Leica make special "Kalt" versions of LTM cameras (IIIc?) for use
>on the
>Eastern Front during the war? I thought the changes to the ball bearings
>were
>carried over in to the regular production models, like the IIIf. I'm
>guessing
>you would still have to change the luricants though.

The modifications to the IIIc were mandated NOT by the conditions on the
Eastern Front but from the conditions in northern Norway but the results
were the same, the addition of ball-bearing races to the shutter curtain
rollers in place of the earlier pin-bearings.  These cameras were called
"K" cameras -- for 'kugellager', or ball-bearings -- and most are so marked
behind the serial number.

Zeiss Ikon also cold-proofed Contax cameras but did so by removing
lubricants and loosening tolerances.  Many cameras so treated were marked
internally with a painted "k" but, in this case, it stood for "kaltfest",
or 'cold-proofed'.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!