Subject: Re: [Leica] R5-R7 decision
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 12:59:36 -0500

Aram, if you are not going to use TTL flash or need a motor, might I suggest
an SL or SL2(if the price is right).  Either of these cameras offer the best
focusing screen on an SLR (R8 excluded), truly accurate truly spot meter,
infinitely adjustable shutter speeds with exceptions at the slow speed/high
speed gear changeover and between 1/60-1/125, extremely low mirror slap, and
a build quality to lust after.

Downsides are 1/2000 that is not entirely stable in some cameras, a likely
CLA is needed as these cameras are nearing 30 years old, and you will need
to acquire a CRIS adapter to use the light meter.

In the SE USA, SL's are available in the $300-$400 range. SL2's can be had
for $600 if you are patient.  I also own an R4 and the difference in screen
focusability is very evident so I understand your desire to change.

I make this suggestion as moving to an R7 is only an incremental
improvement(TTL flash excluded).  If the desire for better focusing is the
driving factor then either back to the past or an R8 would better serve your
needs.

Don Dory
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Replies: Reply from Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] R5-R7 decision)