Subject: Re: [Leica] surprises and disappointment
From: "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:19:53 -0600

Chris--
Good commentary. You probably know this but.....
Talking the talk and walking the walk is very important in the "art"
world. This photographer talked about his work and even did a
demonstration for you. You may not have been impressed but he
probably impressed anybody else standing around. Speaking about your
work is very important in the art world. I hate talking about my
pictures. My wife, an artist (she has the Master of Fine Arts degree
to prove it), says I MUST talk about my pictures.
Anyway, the guy you had your discussion with is very "art" oriented.
His pictures may or may not be good. But you can bet that he swept
the magazine editors and gallery owners off their feet with his
discussion of his pictures and their importance and HIS importance.
(Leica) photographer Garry Winogrand hated discussing his work. About
the most he ever said was, "I like to see what things look like
photographed".
Indeed.
John Fulton
Fort Worth