Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon EOS for Leica-style...sorry!
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 18:32:51 -0600

George Day sez:
> It was a perfectly fair question -- we don't have to be so rigid.  The
> question explicitly mentioned 'leica style photography.'  Isn't that clear
> enough?  Isn't it easier to proffer a few sage words or just keep one's
> peace?

Oh, George, I have all the opinions anyone would ever want to hear.  But, I do not
have the original text here on thsi computer, so I'll take your word for it that he
said "Leica Style Photography" in his first posting of the question.

That said, I fail to see how any camera brand that re-invents everything about itself
except the mount every six months,  can be said to be capable of  Leica-Style
photography.

Is my Ford Taurus Wagon capable of "Uni-Mog Style" driving?    I don't think so.   If
a person called me up and asked advice on a Uni-Mog, I would have to send him
elsewhere for advice.

Yes, it was a fair question, but an inappropriate one.  And as for rigidity, one look
at my pictures, and you'll know I am not a rigid person.  They've been shot with
jupiters and Pentaxs, and some things I won't admit on this list.

And I do offer a few words of sage advice . . .  If you want to shoot Leica- style,
then best to use a Leica-like camera.  At last look, in the many recent incarnations,
none of the EOS qualifies.

As far as keeping one's peace?  I don't think I have berated any other member with an
all-caps retort.

Even the guy who posted the question re-asked it, in a manner that Our Rabid Rabiner
was pleased to respond to.
C'mon George, it's a big sandbox.  Let's play nicely.

Regards,

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com