Subject: Re: [Leica] Which 90 M Lens?
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 18:37:06 -0800 (PST)

Julian Topley wrote:

I have been pondering over which 90mm lens to get - a new 90mm 2.8
Elmarit with $200 rebate or the previous version of the Summicron
(11137).

From what I have read, the Elmarit is the better performer despite the
one extra stop and perhaps this is the one I should consider unless of
course I decide to eat tinned ravioli for the next six months and go
for the current Apo-Summicron Asph.  The only other thing that puts me
off this lens (other than the thought of eating tinned ravioli) is the
fact that it is only available in a black anodised finish, however I am
sure that I will soon be reassured that the finish makes no difference
to the pictures that you will take with it!.

Perhaps the Elmarit with the 1.25x magnifier and 3 months of eating
tinned ravioli?

Julian,

I've recently bought the new 90 Elmarit-M, to go with my Tri-Elmar.
I've only shot a couple of films with the 90, so it's early days yet,
but so far I'm very pleased with it. I have a lot more experience,
though, using the 90 Elmarit-R, which has the same optical formulation
as the M version (4 elements in 4 groups). I have found it to be
superb, including wide open and at closest focus, in terms of colour
clarity, sharpness, contrast and resistance to flare.

For what it's worth, the 90 Elmarit lenses have often been given the
highest rating of all Leica glass by lens testers. Not everyone trusts
lens tests, I know, but in this case their high ratings are consistent
with my own experience.

Regards,

=====
Ray