Subject: Re: [Leica] suprises and disappointment
From: "Dragi Anevski" <dragia@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:52:29

I agree with this. "I like it" and "I don't like" are not very inclusive as
statements about works of art. Also sometimes people seem to think that it
is better not to speak about what you are doing, instead you should just do
it. For some reason that is considered to be "more right". Maybe we will all
be more like "true artists", or maybe more like "true photgraphers" or
better in some other way? I also think that it is very interesting to hear
what the photographer has to say (in words that is) also.

As an example of when hearing about the ideas behind the photographs might
change what you think of them: lately I visited the Hasselblad center's
exhibition of the latest Hasselblad award winner (Hiroshi Sugimoto,
http://www.hasselbladcenter.se/) in Göteborg Sweden, and walked around and
was very unimpressed. The most unimpressive pictures were images from the
inside of movie theaters, and they looked like just empty movie theaters,
taken with a large format camera, plain boring. Just before leaving I passed
a small room where a video interview was on with the photographer talking
about his work. He explained that the theater pictures were done by opening
the shutter when the movie started and closing it when it had stopped and
everybody had left the theater, so the exposure was some hours, and people
moved while the film played so you couldn't see them in the picture, and the
film screen was washed out and white.

For me that explanation changed completely what the picture was all about. I
still think it's boring, sort of, but it made me think. And somewhat
reluctantly, I also think it is interesting now.

An example closer to the "Leica style photography" although very different:
Capa's picture of the falling soldier, as a symbol of..... An art critic
could talk for ages about that image, and the symbolism is really what the
picture is all about. Same thing holds for most of todays contemporary
documentary photography: many of the images of say Salgado, Cartier-Bresson
or Nachtway are very "symbolic".

Dragi Anevski