Subject: Re: [Leica] Airport Security?
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:28:28 -0800

Alfie wrote:
>>I plan to fly out next week and will be bringing in the film lead bags of
course.
> Indeed, of course I will be at the airport fairly early about 2-3 hours
before I >leave on the flight to give enough time to check in.<<<<

Alfie forget the lead bags, use that money saved to buy more film.

Why? Well first of all the carry on scanner wont do anything to your film
and life at the security check is much easier if you take all the film out
of canisters and throw it into zip lock freezer bags so the security folks
can see it's film.

Ask for a hand inspection of the film, you may get it, don't get upset if
you don't! And if they say "everything goes through the scanner," just shrug
your shoulders and pick it up on the other side... it'll be fine!  Never
mind the whole bag being hand inspected just throw it on the belt.

The new times at security are not like the "olden days" pre Sept 11, close,
but the use of lead bags is redundant and a complete waste of money to
purchase.

And don't even contemplate film in your checked luggage........ it'll be
dead in the bags..... period! As the new checked baggage scanning equipment
will turn your film into unusable dust! Well, it sure as hell wont be any
good for normal exposing!

After the past few weeks flying  half dozen times on routes of more than one
plane ride to destination, things are pretty cool and not changed a great
deal pre 11th. The earlier arrival at the airport is a good idea but going
three hours ahead of time only means you'll be sitting in the coffee shop an
extra two and half hours after going quickly through security.

This of course changes from airport to airport, but in general it seems even
two hours isn't necessary.

Have a good flight, stay cool, and smile! ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant