Subject: Re: [Leica] EOS out of running; now R8 vs. M - wife has spoken
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 14 Nov 2001 09:13:34 -0800

On Wed, 14 November 2001, "Zeissler, Mitch" wrote:

> When I broached the subject of new SLR glass, she was very specific
> about what she would like to see if I pursued that direction.  Leica and
> nothing else, as close to what we get with the M glass as possible [I
> *KNEW* that would make Mark Rabiner happy!].
>
> When I scanned the images we captured using the longer lenses [90mm M
> and 135mm M glass vs. old 70-210mm Vivitar SLR, new 35-135mm ASPH Sigma
> SLR, and Canon G1 digital glass], the Leica glass won hands down.  The
> Leica images were all much clearer, sharper and haze/flare free.

If I didn't know better, I'd say your comparison of consumer zooms to Leica primes was calculated to give the results you wanted :)

In my case, She Who Must Be Obeyed reached the same conclusion when we compared photos made with R primes to those made with Nikkor AIS primes.  It helps to use the new Leica glass on her projects; in my case it was the last few months of her father's life:

http://home.earthlink.net/~telyt/hans

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com