Subject: [Leica] Non-Leica lenses for available light
From: Sipulmanjones@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:19:45 EST

A few days ago I asked a question about people's experience of a couple of Canon EOS lenses for available light photography and, probably because of the way that I had phrased the question, the responses got de-railed onto questions to do with the philosophy and aesthetics of Leica brand-loyalty. (I always enjoy it when Mark's prose explodes, so it was a pleasure to be a stone in his shoe.)

David Morton re-stated my question better than I had:
"It seems natural that a significant
proportion of the people who use Leica M will be interested in available
light (or dark) photography. Given that interest, it's *highly* likely that
some of these people - those more interested in the end than the means -
will have cast a critical eye over Nikon's 28mm f1.4, Canon's 50mm f1 & 24mm
f1.4 and even the Olympus 21mm f2."

I'd include the Canon 85/1.2 on this list, and be interested in any other candidates you can think of.

So... I would still be really interested to hear of any experiences with the above lenses, and of how they compare with Leica lenses for open aperture available light work. In the absence of an article by Erwin about the subject, does anybody know of any information of this sort out on the web?

I'm definitely going to try some of these out for myself so, eventually, I'll report back.

Simon Pulman-Jones