Subject: Re: [Leica] Non-Leica lenses for available light
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 05:37:49 -0500

> I agree that Nikon and Leica make a great combination.  I'm going to shoot
> the demonstrations at the G20 summit in Ottawa this weekend.  Around my
> neck will be a .58 with a 3E and a motor.  On one shoulder an M6HM with a
> 90.  And on the other shoulder an F3HP/MD4 with a 180.  The Nikon will do
> double duty as camera and blunt instrument...
>
> As far as non-Leica available light lenses go, I've read great reviews of
> that honking great 28/1.4 Nikkor.  The 28/2.0 AIS is supposed to be OK as
> well.  Some Nikkors that *aren't* great available light lenses include the
> 50/1.4 and 1.2, the 24/2.0 (the one I had was egregiously bad) and the
> 35/2.0.
>
> Frankly, IMO nothing but nothing matches the current fast Leica M lenses.
> It's a fool's errand to even try :-)
>
> Paul
>
> http://www.chefurka.com
> --

Paul,

Good luck in Ottawa this weekend. I remember some of your previous demo
photos.

Having photographed numerous demonstrations I have used a kit similiar to
yours, Two Ms and a F3HP. What I learned is that to get good demonstration
photos you need to be close-in with the demonstrators. So my recommendation
would be to dump the F3 and the Leica 90mm.

Go wide with 35, 28 and a 21 if you have one. Take a 50 as a telephoto.

I would also like to suggest that by getting close in you can get some
really meaty stuff of the demonstrators and police. Try and get away from
the dreaded pictures of demonstrators carrying signs--been done to death.

Here are a few of my protestor photos, which you may have seen before:

http://www.streetphoto.net/photo_of_the_week/wk3.jpg

http://www.streetphoto.net/photo_of_the_week/wk3a.jpg

http://www.streetphoto/.net/photo_of_the_week/wk41.jpg

http://www.streetphoto.net/photo_of_the_week/wk41a.jpg