Subject: [Leica] re: cheap M's
From: "Gumm, Jim" <Jim.Gumm@okdhs.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 16:50:27 -0600

My cheap M experience happened about a year ago. Oklahoma City has 2 camera
stores of any note. The largest is called Epperson's. One day a firefighter
friend of mine said that he had seen a Leica that afternoon at the store. I
immediately rushed over to the store and, upon not seeing it, I asked the
salesperson. Sure enough, he said, it was in back being re-evaluated. My
heart dropped as I imagined them adding another zero or something to the
price. Low and behold they bought out a M3 Leica serial number 1mil. plus
with a mr-4 meter and to top it off, an Elcan 50 mm lens! And they wanted
$150!!!!! I grabbed it and said I'd take it, at which time I noticed the
Elcan. Shaking terribly I paid them and rushed home with my new camera. It
was scratched a bit on top, is missing a little vulcanite and had repaired
shutter curtains from some one burning a hole in them. The Elcan was in
excellent condition however, and I sold it to a collector as I really wanted
a Noctilux and this would get it. I still can not understand how the camera
salespersons in that store possibly priced it that low. I have witnesses
also! This is my greatest camera buy, so I know they are out there, banged
up rangefinders that dealers think have passed their time of use.
I have given a few parts to lug members and have always had great responses
to my philanthropy. Once I sent a gentleman a neg carrier for a focomat I
and he made my day with his generous response. Until I found out what their
worth ;^). Just kidding.
Jim Gumm

Replies: Reply from "C.L.Zeni" <clzeni@mindspring.com> (RE: [Leica] re: cheap M's)