Subject: Re: [Leica] 'chrome stability
From: "C.L.Zeni" <clzeni@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 15:35:40 -0500

At 09:27 AM 11/17/2001, you wrote:
>My experience with old 'chromes largely matches Bill's with a few
>exceptions: the images are my own, dating back to 1952; the majority of
>slides processed by unknown labs, i.e., not mounted in Kodak frames, have
>fungus spots; and all the Kodachromes I shot in India in 1988 have a green
>tint. I'm guessing that the green shift was caused by carrying the films in
>my backpack for several weeks in climatic conditions that included very high
>heat and humidity (monsoon season). The chromes I shot in North-West
>Pakistan on the same trip were not so affected. Trying to correct the green
>shift in PS6 will be an annual winter project...

Question:  I've always understood that the major difference between
Kodachrome and E4/6 is that the latter carries the dyes in the emulsion,
and that Kodachrome has the dyes added at processing.  IF (big if...) this
is the case, why would environmental conditions experienced by the film
prior to processing have any effect on the color?

Just wondering...

- --
Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni at mindspring dot com
http://www.trainweb.org/zeniphotos/zenihome.html
http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/index.html

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian
because I hate plants.  - A. Whitney Brown

Replies: Reply from "C.L.Zeni" <clzeni@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] 'chrome stability)
Reply from "George Weir" <george@georgeweir.com> (Re: [Leica] 'chrome stability)