Subject: Re: [Leica] Best Color Printer For Use With Nikon LS-4000?
From: Paul Chefurka <chefurka@home.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 20:24:00 -0500

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:20:11 -0700, "Greg J. Lorenzo"
<gregj.lorenzo@home.com> wrote:

>I suspect one of the Epson line. But all suggestions welcome.
>
>Printer will be dedicated to photos 90% of which will be color.
>
>Budget is approximately $2,000US.
>
>Regards,
>
>Greg J. Lorenzo
>Calgary, Alberta

I don't think you need to go that expensive.  My choice would be the Epson
1270 or its replacement the 1280, at $499 USD.  I use its little brother
the 870, and I'm extremely pleased with the quality.  I use it with Tetenal
264 High-Gloss paper, for Ciba-like colour on scans from my LS-4000.

The other option is the Epson 2000P for $899 USD - it uses pigment inks, so
the results are more archival.  the results are very good, but I'm not a
fan of the way pigment inks from that printer lay down on the paper, plus
the gamut is slightly smaller.  If you intend to sell your prints this
would be a better choice, as the inks aren't subject to the Dreaded Orange
Shift when exposed to ozone.

There are other Epson printers above those, but they are intended for
professional production work and are quite expensive - printers like the
5500 for $3500 US.

Paul
http://www.chefurka.com

Replies: Reply from "Steve Hickel" <smhickel@iserv.net> (Re: [Leica] Best Color Printer For Use With Nikon LS-4000?)