Subject: [Leica] Scanning 8 1/2 x 11 full size neg sheets.
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 06:49:54 -0800

OK... based on my ideas and the input from one of our LUG members, and the
help from a friend that has both a cheap Umax scanner ( $66) and a Cabin
floursescent flat light  viewer, I have good news....

FIrst and foremost... this is for recording the images and making contact
prints.  There is no intention of scanning for the purposes of making fine
art or any other kind of art.  This is a quick look at the negs or chromes,
or a scan for recording your collection of negs in a database.  Would it
work for a 8x10 neg scanner?  It works but the pitfalls for printing a
decent image are undefined.

Taking the scanner, place the neg sheet on top of the glass plate.  Put the
light source onm top of the neg sheet ( like how else would you try this?).
Scan......  DONE>>>>> you now own a scan of the entire sheet.

My friend's images looked a bit low in contrast, and maybe that comes from
the back scatter of the light in the scanner from the frint surface of the
negs?  But the images created surely passed my test for the purposes
intended.....

Get those negs out, buy/use the light source of your choice, and try it for
yourself....

This is exciting!

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net