Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux - 1st impressions
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 15:48:08 -0800

>> [Noctilux = f1 at centre and f2 at corners]
>
>Ahem.  I wasn't "dissing" your perfect lens guys.  Just
>making an observation.
>Mind you, why not get a Summilux and use the whole image
>frame?
>Andrew Nemeth

According to Erwin ("Leica Lens Compendium," pp. 126-127), the Summilux
wide open has more than 2 stops of "quite visible vignetting," so the whole
frame is not that much more usable with that lens than it is with a
Noctilux with its 3 stops of light falloff. Even the Summicron demonstrates
between 1-2 stops of light falloff wide open, again according to Erwin
("LLC," pp. 118-124). IMO, all of this is meaningless if it doesn't keep
you from getting the image quality you want out of the lens you're using.

In the end, you should use whatever lens works better for you. But as folk
on the LUG point out occasionally, even with increased vignetting the
Noctilux is better than the Summilux at 1.0.

Guy