Subject: Re: [Leica] Non-Leica lenses for available light
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 18:59:39 -0800

ALEXSCIFI@aol.com wrote:

> Following up on this thread, what about some of the more famous SLR available
> light lenses such as the Canon 55F1.2L/Aspheric, 50F1.2L and 85F1.2L lenses,
> the Nikon 58F1.2 Noct and 85F1.4 versus their M counterparts? Ignoring for
> the moment, the fact that a RF camera will have a 1 to 2 stop camera shake
> advantage, is there "something else" that a "specialty" SLR lens can do that
> a Summicron cannot that would make it worthwhile to get and use a lens like a
> Canon L??? Canon implies in it's literature that use of aspherics allow
> electric lighting (neon and etc.) to be better recorded than non-aspheric. In
> short, wide open, how would a SLR aspheric fare against an equivalent focal
> length Summicron--each on a tripod? And then WITHOUT the tripod?
>
> Alex
> --

Following up on this thread? more like bringing it back from the dead it was
dead and gone thank goodness a week ago, Alex.
Lets see how many reasons are there to get into other 35mm systems other than Leicas?
We're all digesting Turkeys and now we get this one!

Famous!? "famous SLR available light lenses such as the Canon 55F1.2L/Aspheric,
50F1.2L and 85F1.2L lenses, the Nikon 58F1.2 Noct and 85F1.4"
I'm not sure how "famous" fits in here i dont think it does. You want famous
glass. You are on the right list.

If there's someone on the list whose getting better results from their Canon
55F1.2L/Aspheric then their Noctilux let them say so!. I recall a few stating on
how they used to own some of this stuff and then sold it in lieu of their better
Leica glass. Let them say good-by telling us how much they've now discovered
Canon stuff to be better
Check the archives.

I think having the Canon literature out and salivating all over it does not an
appropriate LUG thread make.
That's just my opinion but to me it's just obvoius. (by the way there's
cranberry sauce on your chin)
Alex i see you are into the Olympus system, and the Contax system, Leicas and
now you're wanting Canons!
That's a lot of cameras all taking the same exact same film.
Do you remember how to load them all?
Do you really think WE want to hear about it? So many cameras, so little time.

This is a list which is all about:

TAKING PICTURES

With LEICAS.

Not endless obsession on camera brochures of other companies. Do it on your own time!
Now is when we should be giving thanks for the cameras systems we DO HAVE!! Not
coveting thy neighbors Canons.
The grass is always greener! buy and sell buy and sell buy and sell buy and sell
buy and sell
How about this sound: "click"?
Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA