Subject: Re: [Leica] Pictures, FDR Visit
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 12:08:08 EST

Mike:

If one of the important  purposes of photography is to produce the emotive
effect of recollection, you got me - bingo. I was a little boy during WWII
yet I recall vividly how much a father figure FDR was to most Americans. When
he died in April 1945 there was a national hole-in-the-stomach. His funeral
train from Washington to Hyde Park came up the New Haven RR line from New
York City past New Rochelle where we lived, then reversed to go back south to
the Mott Haven yards in the Bronx, thence to the New York Central tracks up
the Hudson to Hyde Park. My parents got my brother and me up before dawn to
drive down to the New Rochelle train station to be there when the train came.
Almost everyone on the platform was crying, many waving handkerchiefs or
flags.

Your photos brought all that back. My thanks.

Seth Rosner    LaK 9