Subject: Re: [Leica] OT:Photo grad school.
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 08:48:04 -0800

>On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 21:25:59 EST ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:
>> If your "real world" is the art world, an MFA becomes very valuable.

>I've wondered for years, if you SUBTRACT university salaries and grants,
>how many "artists" are earning a reasonable living in the US????

Not very many, I'd wager. But we could apply that pronouncement to many
other countries, where artists can in some cases live making art, but only
because the government subsidizes them.

The problem - or blessing, depending on your position - is that some
countries do not view cultural productions as something that must survive
by the laws of the market, i.e. it must be fiscally self-supporting. Here
in the US, we do.

Guy