Subject: Re: [Leica] OT:Photo grad school.
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:29:37 -0500

Guy Bennett wrote:

>> Though much of this activity is
> without significance in the "real world," real world values are meaningless
> in the academy: it is a self-validating system that generally does not
> recognize non-academic achievement.

Actually, my experience has been precisely the opposite - While I agree
entirely that virtually no one in the 'real world' gives a rat's behind
about your academic credentials once you get past your first job, I have
found that some folks in academia will grant 'equivalence' to certain
real-world accomplishments when hiring for positions in academia. At
both Harvard Medical School, where I was briefly the Director of Media
Affairs and had an academic appointment, and at MIT, where I teach, my
credentials in the world of journalism are viewed by academics as being
the equivalent of a doctorate in their world. The bottom line, I
believe, is that at these particular institutions the academics have
enough self-confidence to understand that they know what they know, and
that I know what I know, and what I know is as much of value to students
as what they know. (Does that make sense:-) )

B. D.

Replies: Reply from "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] OT:Photo grad school.)
Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] OT:Photo grad school.)
Message from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] OT:Photo grad school.)