Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: 135 Telesar f3.5
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:43:43 -0800

"Gumm, Jim" wrote:

> [snip] I need a small light-weight 90 for hiking.

Although I have seen some on this list dis'in it, the 90 tele-elmarit has served
me very very well for several years now. Bower's book recommended it for it's
pocketability, and I find it both compact and capable. With the tele-elmarit and
a 35 lux I am ready to hike - no need to even carry a camera bag.

> [more snip] Yet,
> the 90 CV 3.5 Apo-Lanthar is about the size and length I need!

I have no experience, personal or otherwise, with this lens. The tele-elmarit is
only about $500 used, so save the half-stop and get the Leica for the same
price! That said, CV lenses are pretty darn pleasing - my Heliar is one of my
favorite little gems.

> The Noctilux has been an amazing lens. I photographed some Pontiac cars at a
> dealership at night that were beautiful. The person who received the photos
> were amazed such a thing could be done without strobes. People who talk
> about the lens vignetting, probably just aren't the one's who are out using
> it. The vignetting rarely is a problem and hardly ever noticed in normal
> photography. No one has complained so far. It is truly the most amazinfg
> lens that I have ver used.

(...drooling...) Some day, when the kids have graduated college, or won
scholarships, I may find a Noctilux hanging around my neck - I can hope anyway.
Honestly, I have more use for a 75 Summilux, but I'd love to at least play with
a Nocti some day!

Thanks,
- - marc