Subject: Re: [Leica] Tea and conversation
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:16:15 -0800

Don:  Actually, the lens is the penultimate Summicron (4?), the one with
the focusing tab and the detachable hood.  The chromagenic film may
"smooth" things a bit. Or maybe there's a tad of motion blur.

One problem with the Mischa picture is that it's too big for the screen,
and you don't see the teacup on the table unless you scroll down.  I should
have reduced it more.  But I like onscreen pictures not to be too
small--vertical pictures especially can lose something if they fit a normal
browser window.  So I usually try to make my vertical pictures just fit on
IE5 in full screen mode at 1024x768, if they can take that degree of
enlargement. But it was late and I divided by 4 instead of 5 or
6.  Regardless, I love the out-of-focus gesturing hands in this picture

Funny you should mention the kitchen counter in the Yulia picture.  With
all the talk here about getting closer and cropping out nonessential
details, I tried cropping the cabinet more heavily, and even getting rid of
as much of the table as possible.  But it didn't look right. So I trusted
my instincts.  Context matters.

http://www.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/mischa_emphatic.htm
http://www.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/yulia_skeptical.htm

- --Peter Klein